Website / Other Bring Back Periodic Staff Applications

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Reflective, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Reflective

Reflective Well-Known Member
    Zume

Not long ago, the staff applications system was changed from being periodic (i.e. opening every few months) to being open 24/7. I think this was a wise move at the time, but I don't think I'm alone in thinking that it should be changed back to how it was before.

When staff applications were opened every few months, it felt like there was a sense of excitement that came with it. Many players, including myself, would regularly check the forums to see who had applied and offered advice to those who had. Only in extreme cases were applications denied before the deadline, so people applicants knew they could receive feedback and improve their application. There's no deadline with the current system, so some applications are denied within a matter of days or even hours without the applicants having a chance to improve their application or even knowing how long they'd have to make improvements (this is not the fault of the staff members dealing with applications but rather a flaw of the system). On the other hand, some applications could sit untouched for months. Having applications opened for short periods at a time would ensure that applicants would eventually get a response within a few weeks.

Overall, I believe periodic staff applications are much more efficient and I'd love to see them make a return.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. KristyKim

KristyKim Well-Known Member
    Zume

I understand why you would think that they close the applications before anyone has the chance to view it but, 9/10 of the times that the person is denied is because of their activity. I check who applys all the time too but they usually have 20-30 forums posts and have never logged onto discord before. Therefore they would automatically be denied. There's no improvement there you know until you actually start being committed and be active not even for the sake of being staff. It all just really comes down to basic things such as being able to write a sentence. At least a few and most of the players don't even know how to do that therefor the staff team denies them. Before staff closes the application there are at least 3-10 players who comment and give them advise. They can improve and apply next month. Mineheroes needs as many staff players with good qualities as soon as possible. Although it doesn't seem like it brings much attention, in the full picture there are actually quite a lot off players who apply and the one who shows good qualities have been up there for months and months for other players to review.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reflective

Zume

I know that a lot of the immediate denials are valid and obvious, but I was always of the mentality that all applicants should get the same chance to work on their application after submitting it. Even if they're clearly not going to get accepted, it can still be helpful to them if they decide to apply in the future.

I agree that the server needs high-quality staff members, but I feel like opening applications periodically would attract more high-quality applicants than having them open 24/7. The current player count is higher than it has been for a while now, but there have only been 10 or 11 new staff members in the past 4-5 months. There could have easily been 2 waves of applications in that time with 10+ high-quality staff members in each of them. I don't disagree with the fact that there are currently applicants with good qualities - I just feel like there would be more if there was still that excitement and publicity that came with periodic applications.

Community opinions are definitely valuable, however, there comes a point when there are enough comments on an application for the staff team to get an idea of the community's general opinion on the applicant. If I was in the position of a staff applicant, I'd personally rather be sure that there would be an outcome to my application within a few weeks after the deadline than have my application be open and public indefinitely without knowing whether or not the staff team is considering the outcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wyattcvn123

wyattcvn123 Well-Known Member
    Ultimate

“ I agree that the server needs high-quality staff members, but I feel like opening applications periodically would attract more high-quality applicants“ exactly. And also community opinions can be valuable however just because a few people don’t like a certain person doesn’t mean that person can do the job well. So at the end of the day they can look at peoples responses but it shouldn’t be a determining factor if they’re accepted or not unless they’re really out there or something

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hipsterrrrr

Hipsterrrrr Well-Known Member
    Zume

I agree. I miss the thrill of the old Mineheroes. When I was going through my first star application round I felt like there was a rollercoaster of emotions getting into the network. The idea that you can just apply whenever you want now is really, uneventful. There’s nothing that’s really going on in the network nowadays unless you’re a facs/sb/pvp player. I get it I’m always asking more of creative, but it’s almost been a year since anything has happened (aka the last build comp for Halloween).
    I’m really bored of this server about now and I’m not afraid to say it. There’s nothing that is exciting. We have our basic games, basic players, no activities, and promised from higher staff that aren’t fuffiled. I get it the staff have definently had their issues lately, but the idea to be a staff is to help and entertain the playerbase. Not a popularity contest.
    All in all, I agree there’s no thrill anymore.

TLDR- fix everything

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bionic_X_Legend

Bionic_X_Legend Well-Known Member
    Manos

good point ;')

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. ImJustAndrew

ImJustAndrew Well-Known Member
    Zume

-1, I'd prefer just to leave it like they've changed it to be (and yes this is useless)

8. BlackTheOcelot

BlackTheOcelot Well-Known Member
    Zume

Interesting thought. How do you think the quality of staff applications compare to when they were periodic as opposed to being open 24/7?

9. Reflective

Zume

I think the quality is pretty much the same, however having them periodically will most likely lead to a greater number of high-quality applications.

10. Wito

Wito Well-Known Member
    Gyra

It's better to have applications open 24/7.

When application rounds are periodical with a large waiting period between them, the forum and discord get flooded with tryhards/mini-mods/suddenly_active_players warning everyone left and right just to get noticed by higher staff the 3 weeks before and after the application process. Really annoying.

11. wyattcvn123

wyattcvn123 Well-Known Member
    Ultimate

people who arent mods or staff "warning" you isnt a problem? If you broke a rule realize it and dont do it again or if you didn't do anything wrong tell them to shut up or something.

12. Reflective

Zume

I know this may be an issue and can be annoying, but it also goes to show those who have a genuine interest in helping (i.e. those who help even when applications aren't open) and those who are only interested in the tag (i.e. those who tryhard during the application window). I understand that this is a negative aspect of periodic applications, but I still believe that the pros outweigh the cons.

13. Wito

Wito Well-Known Member
    Gyra

On my side, I am not sure that the pros outweigh the cons but I agree with everything else you said.

I just hope the tryhards/mini-mods crap around applications process will be fixed one day or at least the ones acting like pure savage will get managed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CJ_Entus_Wraith

Ultimate

Who even cares. Server doesnt need another chat mod hehexd Just play the damn game and stop discussing about staff staff staff staff staff 24/7 yall sad bunch

15. KristyKim

KristyKim Well-Known Member
    Zume

The server usually barely has even one staff member online to assist anyone wHat

16. CJ_Entus_Wraith

Ultimate

That’s cause helpers dont have as many perms as before... and I can understand why....Wazez is just NotReady to trust anyone so soon hehexd